Home > Our School > History

History

The first Catholic School was built in Murrumburrah in 1877. It was known as St Mary's and staffed by lay teachers.   This original building was to become part of the present day Presbytery.  In 1880 state aid was withdrawn from denominational schools and the Sisters of Mercy were enlisted to help relieve the financial burden being placed on parents.  The Sisters of Mercy took over the running, of what was known then as St Mary's School in 1882.  In 1884 a new school building attached to St Mary's Church was opened. By 1903 seven sisters were teaching 152 students and further extensions were completed.  Due to a steady rise in the population of Harden a second Catholic School, St Columba's was opened in 1917. Both sites were primary and secondary until 1955 when St Columba's became a secondary school and St Mary's catered for children from Kindergarten to Year Six.

Due to declining town population and enrolments, and a lack of religious staff the two schools merged in 1980 to form Trinity Catholic School.  They still operated the two campuses but now shared a Principal and staff. Trinity Catholic School operated successfully until 1990 when once again a downturn in rural areas and reduced enrolments in the secondary department, saw the closure of the secondary campus at Harden. Trinity Catholic Primary School has continued to operate successfully at Murrumburrah.  Recent rennovations have provided a modern, well-planned school with open and bright classrooms equipped with the latest technology for quality teaching and learning.  The extensive playground areas ensure that the students have ample room in which to play and interact.  It is through the support of the local community, the numerous priests and religious sisters who worked tirelessly for the children of Harden and Murrumburrah, dedicated teaching staff and parents that Trinity Catholic School has survived and prospered for 134 years.  Saint Mary's Church situated in the school grounds provides a sacred place for community prayer and celebration. The foundation stone for St Mary's Churchwas laid on the 27th September 1868 by the Right Reverend William Lanigan DD Bishop of Goulburn. It was the first church of any denomination to be built in the district.

 

Back to Top